Friday, February 5, 2010

The One That Got Away

Have you ever missed a golden opportunity to be on the cutting edge of design before anyone else? You were flipping through a magazine and thought, "I saw a (fill-in-the-blank) just like that two years ago! I should have gotten it when I had the chance." Well, that doesn't happen too often, but these chairs:


image via sundance

I see them everywhere!

Let me just tell you. In the first house we ever rented. Our landlord was a homewrecker. Literally, he tore down buildings for a living, and often got to salvage whatever happened to be left in the building before destroying it. He also stored many of these "treasures" in the shed in our backyard/junkyard. He must have had 50 of these cool aluminum chairs he had gotten when one of the state mental hospitals closed down (creepy, I know). Anyhow, we thought they were the coolest and used them in our house. When we moved out, I wanted to keep some, but in the hustle and bustle, never got around to asking him (although I highly doubt he would have noticed if a few had gone missing.)

Well, now that I keep an eye on what's in style, I kick myself every time I see one of these chairs in a designer magazine! Oh well, c'est la vie.

What's your one that got away?



1 comment:

  1. My sister had this chair in her dorm room years ago! I thought they were great then, now they are every where.

    ReplyDelete