Monday, June 22, 2009

Is it a Signe?

"Emerging"


These paintings are the beautiful and innovative work of husband and wife team Signe and Genna Grushovenko. I fell in love with them last time I was in Asheville when I saw them at 16 Patton, one of Asheville's many delightful art galleries. Since then I have been trying to figure out how I can afford one (and where I would put it). Right now I'm angling for a joint birthday/Christmas present--we'll see what happens. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this interesting style as much as I do, and you can check out their website Artists in Residence to find out more about the unique process they use. Essentially, Genna (husband) creates the underlayer, while Signe (wife) bases the pictures on old photos taken from daily Southern life.


"Gee's Bend Homage" is one of the more traditional Americana-esque paintings, which is not my typical style, but in person it is truly outstanding!



"Ladies Aid" for some reason is my favorite, even though the colors aren't quite as vivid as some of their other work.



If only there were a fourth, "Cloud Sisters" would be an older version of my best friends from "Lunch Club" (more on them later).

No comments:

Post a Comment